Sunday, November 16, 2014

Miron d'Allaines-le-Comte - Award of Arms - a.s. xxxxviij



Project:Award of Arms for Miron d'Allaines-le-Comte
Words:Lady Adrienne d'Evreus
Illumination:Lady Adrienne d'Evreus
Paper:Strathmore 300 Bristol Board
Script:Gothic
Pen:Hiro Rond #4 or #5 - Oops, I didn't keep good notes on this one...
Ink:Blots Iron Gall Ink & Winsor & Newton Scarlet Calligraphy Ink
Guidelines:AMES 2:3 @ 6
Size:Calligraphy space is 4.25" x 5.75".
Inspiration:The Hours of Catherine of Cleves, The Morgan Library MS M.917


This project was my wife's second Court scroll assignment. I assisted by penning the calligraphy for her. She learned that Miron had a special love for foxes and dragons, so she scoured through the Hours to find examples of each to use as inspiration. We attended the event where this was given out, and happily, Miron seemed to be smitten with the scroll.


My practice page, trying to match the letter shapes from the source.

First attempt, I didn't like how the 'e' in 'come' extended
past the right guideline, so I started over.
I later added Miron's name to test the red ink.

The finished calligraphy, before paint.
The guidelines left on the page were drawn in with a lead-tin plummet.

Details of some of Adrienne's paint and gold leaf.

No comments:

Post a Comment